Water is a miracle liquid. It’s not only how we stay hydrated, but did you know your body is composed of two-thirds water? We actually need to consume water every day so that our bodies can do what they need to do. For example, water helps the body eliminate toxic substances, produce digestive enzymes, maintain healthy skin, hair, and organs… and aid the absorption of essential vitamins and minerals.
Water also regulates your body’s temperature by cooling you down as it evaporates through the skin. Even on a cold day, your body will use about two liters of water. Athletes and active people (yes, you) require about three litres of water a day to stay hydrated. Again, water is a miracle! So how do you know if you’re properly hydrated, and how do you stay hydrated?
How do you know if you’re properly hydrated?
If you’re curious about your hydration, a quick test is to check the colour of your urine. (Don’t be squeamish.) If it’s pale yellow or clear you are well hydrated. Should it be yellow or murky, your hydration levels are low.
Six ways to stay more hydrated
My goal is always to drink more water, but the average rule of thumb is usually about eight glasses of water per day. These are my tried and true tips:
- Have a water bottle near you during the day — especially during your workouts!
- Drink a glass of water first thing in the morning (try a bit of lemon juice in it for a flavourful morning boost!)
- Drink a glass of water with every meal.
- Replace sweetened beverages with water.
- Try drinking herbal tea.
- Don’t wait until you’re thirsty to drink water — if you’re thirsty, you waited too long!
- Eat water-rich foods.
Incorporate these easy tips into your everyday routine so you stay hydrated and happy this spring and summer. (And all year round!)