For me, wintertime is all about healthy, nourishing food to keep me fuelled and happy in between workouts. I also just really love comfort foods and have adapted many types to suit healthy eating habits and a good mindset. This warming tortilla soup will melt away the late winter chill and keep you feeling nourished and full.
Key ingredients in this soup:
- Chicken – lean meat with a high protein count
- Black beans – full of antioxidants, fiber, protein, and carbohydrates
- Tomatoes – antioxidant-rich and an excellent source of vitamin C, potassium, folate, and vitamin K
Enjoy this delicious, flavourful soup!
Mexican Tortilla Soup
- 1 extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 3 large cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 jalapeño (diced; remove seeds for less heat)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 14.5 oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 small can of chilis
- 1 tetra pack of chicken broth (around 4 cups)
- 1 14.5 oz can black beans (rinse and drain)
- 1 cup corn (drained if canned)
- 2 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro (topping)
- 1 lime (juiced; topping)
- 1 avocado (sliced; topping)
- Prepare onion, garlic and jalapeno.
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat.
- Add onion, garlic and jalapeno and stir until onion is almost translucent.
- Add spices and stir for one minute.
- Reduce the heat a bit before adding all remaining ingredients except the corn, cilantro, lime juice, and avocado.
- Bring to a boil and then lower heat to medium low to simmer for 30 minutes — or until the chicken is cooked. (This is very important!)
- Remove chicken, shred, and add back into the soup. Season with salt and pepper and add the corn.
- Cook for another 30 min on low heat.
- To serve, add toppings to your liking and tortilla strips or a few chips for crunch. Enjoy!
For more recipes, visit my blog recipes page!