I love smoothies. They are such a versatile way of staying hydrated, nourished and energized. I especially love green smoothies, but I know they get a bad rap for taste — particularly when the word ‘detox’ is included. I may be biased, but I think this green detox smoothie is delicious, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. It’s quick, easy, and easy to make up a batch for a few days.
You might wonder why this smoothie gets classified as ‘detox’. There are two detox stars in this smoothie: ginger and kale.
Ginger – Truly deserving of the ‘super food’ label, ginger is a powerhouse root vegetable. Do you remember your parents giving you ginger ale when your tummy was feeling poorly? Well, take away the sugar and carbonation, and fresh ginger on its own has the following cleaning properties that can help the body cleanse:
- Anti-inflammatory and antioxidant
- May soothe nausea and digestive issues (Bye-bye bloating and indigestion!)
- And so much more!
Kale – This dark, leafy green is a great source of fibre, which is key to the health of your digestive tract and lower cholesterol levels. It also contains a good amount of Vitamin A, C, and K.
An honorable mention goes to lemon juice as it contains Vitamin C that can enhance mineral absorption. There is no science that says lemons have any significant effect on detoxing the body, but their overall antioxidant properties can contribute to a healthy diet.
Give this green detox smoothie a try and let me know what you think!
Green Detox Smoothie
- 1 Frozen banana (Halved)
- 1 Small green apple (Cored and quartered)
- 1 Small piece (½ inch) fresh ginger (Peeled)
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 Large kale leaf broken up into small pieces (Remove spine/stem)
- 1 ¼ cup Coconut water or almond milk (Your preference)
- 2 tbsp Hemp hearts or vanilla protein powder (Optional)
- Add all ingredients to your blender. Blitz it up, pour, and enjoy
- Add your liquids to the blender first so the solids don't get stuck in the blades.
- Double or triple the recipe and portion it out to have over 2-3 days. (Keep refrigerated!)
You can find more healthy eating inspiration over on my blog!